A while ago I posted what foods we no longer purchase. This is a continuation of that list showing other items that we do not buy which will save you a lot of money.
- Most store purchased cleaning products. I do buy Comet, carpet cleaner, Bar Keepers Friend, and gas stove top cleaner. I use bleach or denture cleaner tabs to clean toilets. Most other cleaning items are made using vinegar, ammonia, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. I have many store products still but when I run out of one I do not replace it. I don’t like all the toxic chemicals in the store bought products.
- Paper towels. I use rags and microfiber cloths. We just wash them over and over again. If a rag gets really messy, we just throw it away. I save my paper grocery delivery bags to drain bacon.
- We gave up using fabric softener sheets years ago. I don’t like the smell in my clothing. My wool balls take the wrinkles out of my clothes when I use the dryer. I prefer to hang clothes.
- We are using up all of our laundry detergent and then will make our own.
- Disposable wipes. I use a rag with homemade all purpose cleaner.
- Sponges. We use a dish brush that is reusable and can be washed in the dishwasher every time we run a load of dishes.
- Air fresheners, I don’t like the chemicals or smells.
- Dishwasher cleaner. I use a cheap packet of Kool Aid lemonade.
- Jet Dry. I use vinegar.
- Most makeup. I use a little foundation and/or powder, blush and lipstick. I never use makeup when we are home alone.
- Salon haircuts and color. Hubby cuts my hair and I don’t color my hair any longer. Some of the chemicals in hair dyes can cause cancer.
- Dry Shampoo. I use cornstarch.
- I have never gotten fake nails at a salon or put on my own. I no longer use nail polish.
- Perfumes. I don’t like the smells.
- Skincare products. The only thing that I use besides a bar of soap is Noxzema Classic Original on my face. It is the only thing I have used since I was in high school. Yes, I have some wrinkles but not many considering how old I am.
- Hair conditioners. I see no need. If my hair starts to get fly away, I just use some vinegar when I am showering.
- Very little toilet paper. We have a Bidet. I mostly buy a little for the guest bathroom.
- Sprays to grease or oil pans. I just fill a reusable bottle.
- We never buy straws.
- We do not buy shaving creams or razors. We use our electric ones.
- We buy no magazines. They are a waste of money. It is mostly ads.
- Christmas or any seasonal decorations. I am in the process of giving most of them away.
- We quit buying Christmas gifts for extended family many years ago.
- We only buy candles for our emergency storage.
- Plastic containers. We are using what we have and then will toss them when they no longer work. I try to use glass jars now for leftovers.
- Ziploc bags. We are washing and reusing what we have. I do buy food saver rolls to make bags to preserve our meat and fish though.
- I no longer buy jewelry. I have plenty and do not wear it very much. I have given special pieces to my granddaughter.
- Gym memberships. We do our exercising at home or on walks.
- I no longer buy heels. Besides being afraid of falling, I believe they are not good for your feet.
- Books. I use the library or my Kindle.
- I have never purchased meal delivery services and never will.
That is it for today. Feel free to add to this list in the comments.
I am in the process of thawing a large ham(17 lbs.) to cook on Sunday. It will give us a couple of dinners, bean soup, and many cold cuts that we will slice on our meat slicer. Some of the cold cuts along with some diced ham will be frozen for future meals. I refuse to pay the prices that they want for cold cuts.
We had bacon and easy over eggs for breakfast this morning. Tonight, Hubby will bread some haddock and fry us up some fish fries. I will also put some French fries on the air fryer setting on my new oven. We love Chiavetta’s fish fries but they have gotten very expensive and are much smaller than prior years. So we are doing our own. I will have to keep my eye out for a haddock sale again because this is the last package I have.
I wish you all a great weekend.