These are the things we have been doing frugally:
– Hubby grilled 4 large chicken breasts (purchased on sale 4 months ago for $ 1.48 a lb.), that I had cut in half lengthwise, with our homemade BBQ sauce on the grill on Memorial Day. We had tossed salad to go with it. This has fed us all week.
– We have our own cookbook with all of our recipes that we have used over the years. One of them is Hubby’s Mom’s homemade BBQ sauce. Here is the recipe. When we grill with a batch, I add a little cornstarch mixed with a little bit of cold water to thicken it a little so that it is easier for Hubby to baste the chicken with it.
– We love it and make it frequently. I made a double batch on Monday that gave us an extra quart for when we BBQ again. I just keep it in the fridge.
– On Tuesday, I made a huge potato salad to go with the rest of our dinners this week. I had red potatoes that needed to be used. This time of year, potatoes do not last long. It will be great to have a new crop in the fall.
– This is the end of the potato salad that we had tonight with the end of the BBQ chicken.
A lot of people would have a problem eating the same dinner 5 nights in a row. But it does not bother us in the least. We only had to cook once to eat all week and that is a win win for us especially since it has been a very warm week here. We had temps in the high eighties and 93 one day which broke a record. I am not complaining since we only turned our heat off last week because it was so cold. The heat has been very enjoyable when we can go into the A/C in the house when we need to.
– I finally got my new purse which was my Mother’s Day gift from Hubby. It was ordered in April( using Rakuten) and was delayed almost a month before we got it. Because of that QVC has given us a $10.00 credit that is in our account for our next order. We will use it on a necessity. Hubby had bought me this brand of purse back in the early 1990’s. It has served me well but it had bit the dust. So this is my new one and I expect that I will get many years of use out of it. Blue is my favorite color so that was a bonus.
– For some lunches this week, we had Sahlen’s hot dogs which were $ 8.99 for 3lbs. on sale this week. I made mine into chili dogs. Most other lunches were salads. We have been fasting though breakfast and keeping our eating windows within a 6 hour period.
– Hubby submitted a grievance to our town regarding the tax assessment that they want to up us to. They heard him state his case via telephone in a 5 minute time period last night. They informed him that they will make a decision around June 6th and we will get a letter from them informing us of their decision by the end of June.
– Other than those things, I have been doing the usual laundry and air drying. Cleaning and picking up. Nothing exciting.
What have you done frugally this week?