It’s been a frugal couple of weeks in our household. These are the things we have been doing frugally:
– Spent very little of our grocery budget the past couple of weeks.
– We have been eating out of our freezers so that we will have room for our $ .79 a lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts from Zaycon the end of this month.
– I am back to hanging the laundry in the basement now that I feel better.
– The Buffalo News delivered us the Sunday, February 25th edition on March 4th. I called and they brought us a March 4th edition. I asked that they bring a full newspaper since it was only the white pages that were February 25th. They did so I ended up with two sets of all 4 inserts for that Sunday. So I didn’t have to buy an extra paper. Evidently we were not the only people who got the week before edition. I can only wonder how that happened.
– I received a $ 6.00 rebate in the mail.
– We did change our car and auto insurance to a new company and ended up saving almost $200. Since there is no cancellation fee at the old company, we are expecting a pro-rated refund from them shortly. It will be nice to have our auto and homeowners insurance due the same day every year.
– With the exception of going to the grocery store and hair salon, we have pretty much stuck to home. This has saved us gasoline. I do need to get gas soon since I haven’t filled the car up since January. I will be using my $ .60 off per gallon discount at Top’s.
– We have been decluttering the house and setting aside what we no longer need for the community garage sale.
– We have not been out to a restaurant in a very long time. We will get take out tonight though. We do this on most Friday’s during Lent.
– Hubby has been saving a $50.00 Home Depot gift card that he received as a gift to help buy a new mailbox once the ground is unfrozen enough to put it in. Then we can take out the ugly post that the town put in. I have a $ 5.00 off coupon that will help defray the total cost also.
– We have been eating up every leftover in this house. Right now we only have some enough for lunch for one person which is the apple chicken sausage skillet that I made last night.
– I need to redo the closet in our largest guest bedroom. Lots of West’s outgrown toys need to be given away to our neighbor’s little boys. Then I will set the closet up with necessary things for guests like spare sheets, blankets, pillows, etc. I needed some containers to do this and I found them in the right colors at Dollar Tree. So cost was only $5.00 for 5 of them. As you can see it is a hot mess of games, toys, Hot wheel tracks, blankets, and out of season clothes.
– After a number of telephone conversations, I finally got a medical bill corrected to my benefit.
– I cleaned up a big spill in the kitchen with reusable rags.
– I have been listening to You Tube videos while organizing. That is how I learn something new every day.
– I continue to use my laundry eggs in my HE to wash the clothes. When I do use the dryer I am using my dryer balls.
– I have been taking naps when I need them so that my mind is fresh to do everything as frugally as possible.
– We have been making full use of our Netflix membership by watching 4 movies a month. We just watched “Our Souls at Night.” We never go to the movies or rent elsewhere. Between Netflix, Amazon Prime, and You Tube, we have plenty to watch.
– I made a homemade chicken casserole for my sick neighbor.
– I’ve been collecting vegetable scraps and peelings. I made a pan of vegetable stock with them. I froze flat in meal size portions.
– I made a few loaves of banana bread with really ripe bananas. I froze them for our Sunday family breakfasts.
Have you done anything frugal lately? Please feel free to share in comments.
8 replies on “Frugal Things The Past Couple of Weeks”
You have had a really frugal month! It takes just a little effort to save money.
This is a great list of ways to save. Thank you.
You are welcome.
You have been very busy saving money! The banana bread sounds delicious.
Hi Liz, this is Chris. Today I went to Kroger because they were having a 1 day sale on GM cereal for .99/box and Kroger sausage for 1.49 per package. I did my other grocery shopping at Meijer yesterday and they were running the 10/$10 get the 11th item free sale again. They had a lot of good produce on the sale this time: mushrooms, spinach, salad mix, baby carrots, colored peppers. They also had strawberries 4/$5 and I had a coupon for free blueberries, too. Those were the highlights, other than I also had a store coupon for .60 off a gallon of milk. That was the first time I had seen a milk coupon in a long time.
Wow, those are good deals especially the sausage. Nice milk coupon! You did very well.