First, a disclaimer. I would have liked to have done more frugal things. However this cold or flu or whatever I have has knocked me for a loop. Both Hubby and I saw the Doctor yesterday and he ordered prescription drugs for both of us. He said I am the worst. So he ordered 2 drugs for me. The cough syrup knocked me out for 12 hours last night. I have not been sleeping so that was a good thing. But I am hoping that I get back to normal over the next few days. I abhor being sick. It gets in the way of all the things I want to do. So that said, these are the things we have done:
– Deposited 4 checks in our savings account at the bank.
– We have been gathering all of the info and statements we need to do our 2017 taxes. When I feel better I will do those.
– All meals but one have been cooked at home. Last night, I just couldn’t do it. So Hubby ordered and picked up Chinese food at our local cheap place.
– We have been using up fresh veggies that Hubby didn’t eat while I was away so they don’t get wasted.
– I have been doing all loads of laundry in the HE washer. But I am too sick to hang it so it has been going in the dryer. I don’t over dry. If it is a little damp when it comes out, I put it on hangers or a rack till it is fully dry. I always get to it right away when the buzzer goes off.
– Hubby decided he wanted to try to rebuild our mailbox. Working with my son, they determined that the materials to fix it would cost more than a new mailbox. So in the spring, we will get new one. Hubby likes the one with a mailbox and a place for the newspaper. That is what we had. He hates the post and box that the newspaper puts in. Meanwhile, what the town put in for mail is working.
– I purchased 40 lbs. of skinless boneless chicken from Zaycon Fresh with a coupon code. I got it for $.79 a lb. OOP. It will come the end of March.
-Meanwhile I purchased 2 packages of chicken at Save- A- Lot for $ 1.59 a lb. to get us through until my order is delivered.
– I am reorganizing my stockpile to make it more efficient and so that Hubby can find things in it. I always want to know what I have on hand. Rather than write it all down, I am considering a spread sheet. Does anyone have one that works for them?
– I made a loaf of bread this week. I have been craving a sandwich while I am sick. So Keto is on hold while I feed this cold.
– I am making the grandchildren’s Valentine gift this year by filling the nice mailboxes that I got at Dollar Tree. I am buying candy that goes on sale and using coupons when I can. The mailboxes are almost full. They will get sent UPS using my AAA discount and reused boxes from Amazon to ship them.
– I earned a $25. GC for Walmart from Ibotta. I am hoping to use it next week on things I need to stockpile.
– The do list book that I told you I got at Office Max is working beautifully for me. I just add things as I think of them and then cross them off when I am done. I just keep a running list in it. Nothing fancy.
– For entertainment, we have watching the new season of Grace and Frankie on Netflix. It is so funny.
– My son and grandson will come on Sunday for breakfast as they usually do. This week, I will make scrambled eggs, sausage and some hash browns made from the cheap potatoes I purchased this week.
– I have been looking at seed catalogs. I am considering growing lettuce, tomatoes, green peppers, oregano and basil again this year. I didn’t last year but did the year before. They are things that we use a lot of.
– My organizing has been put on hold because I just don’t have the energy. But I did one whole room before I left for Disney. I will continue with a vengeance when I feel better. I am still only using containers that I have on hand or can get at Dollar Tree.
That is it for now. More in a week or so.
I hope you all have a great weekend. I am off to take a nap.
8 replies on “Frugal Things We Have Done The Past Ten Days”
you've done heaps! especially given you've been sick. I'm am amazed at the prices you can get chicken for – here it is quite expensive.
Welcome to my blog. Thanks for your kindness. This is once in a lifetime price for me. Chicken here normally is $1.99 a lb.
I really need to get Zaycon chicken breasts to pressure can. That is a phenomenal price. Did the doctor test you for flu with little brush up the nose?
Hi Practical Parsimony,
No, he didn't.
Hi Liz, this is Chris. Wow, you have really been sick. I am so glad you went to the dr. We didn't need a lot at the grocery after our trip last week. I am hoping to go to Kohls the first of next week to spend my rewards, I have $25 to spend. Feel better. <3
Thanks. Enjoy spending those $25. in rewards.
The flu is scary this year. Take good care of yourself.
Thanks Theresa. I will.